Shakespeare Tag - My Answers

Hello,
Today I am posting my answers to my Shakespeare Tag! I've loved reading the posts done so far, and I look forward to reading more! Some of the answers I've seen have made me want to change mine, but I've tried to mostly resist the urge. When I started answering these I realized how hard they are! If I do another tag sometime will someone remind me to make it a little easier?
Nevertheless, I wanted to answer my own questions, I promised to do so in my initial tag post, and I now have the excuse that I was thoughtfully tagged by Megan Chappie at The Pen and the Cross.

 Anyway, "March on, join bravely, let us to 't pell-mell!" a quote which here means: stop stalling and let everyone read your elongated answers to the questions.

The Rules:

1. Answer truthfully, "Thou canst not then be false to any man." {I just put that as a rule because I wanted to use the quote. hee hee!}
2. Tag at least three people and let them know that they've been tagged. "For he today who does this tag with me shall be my brother..."
3.Link back to the person who tagged you and post a link to your post in the comments, because I want to read your answers and "There never was yet philosopher who could endure the toothache patiently."

{Note: I'm actually going to ignore rule number two because I already tagged people when I posted the tag, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten anywhere.}



1. What was the first exposure you ever had to Shakespeare?


We are privileged to have a Shakespeare In The Parks program every summer, so I've been attending performances since before my memory. The first production I remember seeing was The Merry Wives of Windsor.


2. How many of Shakespeare's plays have you seen?


I've seen ten, and read several more. Most of them have been live performances in the summer, as mentioned above, but I've seen only cinematic versions of: As You Like It, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Much Ado About Nothing.


3. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?


I love most of them, but I'd have to say that Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and As You Like It rank towards the top of the list.
I had to limit myself to the plays I've actually seen to get any answers at all, so the one I've read and would most love to see would probably be Richard III.


4. What is your favorite non-Shakespearean play? {musicals are permissible}


For an actual play I really enjoyed Waiting For Godot, by Samuel Beckett, but that is, of course, the best known play I've seen that isn't Shakespeare.
Including musicals I would have to go with The Music Man.



5. What is an adaptation of one of Shakespeare's plays that you like? Why?



I have realized that even though the references to Shakespeare's works are everywhere, I haven't actually seen many what I would call "adaptations". When I use the term I tend to think of the plot and characters being incorporated, but not a very accurate rendition of them. Things like The Lion King come to mind.

In terms of faithful cinematic versions of the plays I would have to say that I love Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing.

As an inaccurate adaptation I'm going to have to go with Gnomeo and Juliet because it makes me laugh so much. Plus, it gets extra points for all of the Shakespeare references just thrown in for fun. :D


6. Who is your favorite Shakespearean character?


Probably Beatrice, from Much Ado About Nothing, although I'm also quite fond of Horatio, from Hamlet. Could I choose any two more different? I like Beatrice's wit and Horatio's calm.


7. What is your favorite Shakespeare quote?


Inconceivable! How can I choose? I'll have to go with:

"All the world's a stage, 
and all the men and women merely players; 
they have their exits and their entrances;
and each man in his time plays many parts,
his acts being seven ages."

As You Like It  -  act 2, scene 7


8. If you were in a Shakespearean production which play would you want to be in and which character?


I would like to play Viola in Twelfth Night, or Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing, although I don't think I have the skill for the latter.


9. Have you read any of Shakespeare's sonnets, and if so, which is your favorite?


116 without a doubt! {"Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments..."}
 My first exposure to the sonnets - Sense and Sensibility {1995}.


10. Have you ever written/tried to write a play?


Not yet, but I definitely plan on giving it a whirl, even though I'm terrible at writing dialogue. XD


11. Cast one of the big five {Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Richard III, or Much Ado About Nothing} with modern actors from either the stage or the screen.
{you only have to do main characters.}


I have chosen to cast Hamlet, because I have seen several versions of it, and I know the perfect actors. I'm only casting the well-known characters, because I would be happy to see unknown actors in any of the other roles, and I'm also lazy.

Dramatis Personae


Hamlet {son to the late, and nephew to the present king}  –   Tom Hiddleston


Does Loki just scream Hamlet to anyone else? 
I was torn at first, because Horatio is my favorite character, and I thought he would be good for him as well, but I finally settled for this. I would be completely happy, however, if my picks for Hamlet and Horatio switched roles. XD




Horatio {friend to Hamlet}   –   Dan Stevens


This is, admittedly, in his comfort zone {which is why I wouldn't mind if he tried Hamlet on for size} but I still think he would bring something to the character.


Claudius, King of Denmark {Hamlet's evil uncle}   –   Hugh Grant


I really enjoy him in a villain role, which I've only seen once, but I think he would do a good job with this particular part.




Gertrude {Queen of Denmark and mother to Hamlet}   –   Emma Thompson 


I hate to cast her in a role I don't really like, but I think she has the necessary skill to make this interesting. Gertrude should be despicable, pitiful, and at the same time a little relatable. I've never seen her portrayed particularly well, so I think this would be a role for a skilled actress.



Ghost of Hamlet's Father   –   Colin Firth 


This role is imposing, yet has to shadow the beloved father that Hamlet wishes to avenge. I think Colin Firth would do many Shakespearean roles justice, but this is the one I'm sticking him with this time.



Polonius {Lord Chamberlain}   –   Derek Jacobi


Polonius generally gets put in the 'bad guy' category, but really his character isn't so bad: He is a wise and loving father {perhaps too prone to maxims} a good advisor {albeit politically savvy, which might seem villainous}, and he is loyal to the crown he serves, even if it's corrupt {also might seem villainous}.


Laertes {Son to Polonius}   –   James McAvoy


Laertes is a caring brother and son, who, once in avenging mode, is a force to be reckoned with. This is a bit different for Mr. McAvoy {at least the roles I've seen him in have been more on the quiet, gentle side}, but I think he would do a good job playing off of the caring side of Laertes.


Ophelia {Daughter to Polonius}   –   Romola Garai


I liked seeing her in As You Like It, in which she played one of the more comedic characters, but from her role in Amazing Grace I think she has the seriousness to portray Ophelia quite well.






I know that Hamlet is technically a teenager, but there are many adaptations where the characters are portrayed as older. Besides, it's not like these fabulous actors are past prime:



Thank you for reading my babbling thoughts, please feel free to participate in the tag! It will be easier to copy and paste the questions from the tag post here.

If you don't want to do the whole tag I would love to read your thoughts in the comments, feel free to answer your favorite questions!


And, to conclude...

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended – 
That you have but slumb'red here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend.

A Midsummer Night's Dream  -  act 5, scene 1


Give ye good day!


Comments

  1. Why didn't I think of James McAvoy? He would be amazing as Laertes, and any Shakespeare character come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your answers! Our answers are hopefully coming soon! Thanks again for tagging us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I'm looking forward to reading your answers. XD

      Delete
  3. Wow, you really know Shakespeare. I clearly need a revisit, as well as to read the ones I've put off. I think I want to get some copies of the Sparknotes side by side, original and modern. Tom Hiddleston is clearly a popular choice, apparently also to real Shakespeare directors! I own the Hollow Crown, the first cycle. My sister went to see the live screening of Coriolanus. I wish that there was a copy of it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mostly I know the esoteric elements of Shakespeare, there are still so many plays I haven't seen, including some of the big ones!

      I have to admit that I had no idea about The Hollow Crown, but now that I've looked it up I needs it, precious. ;D

      Delete
    2. Just found out this week that National Theatre will be streaming the Tom Hiddleston's Coriolanus on their youtube channel for a week starting June 4!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, I'll have to mark my calendar! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Your answers are so fun! I love The Music Man too.

    Which versions of Hamlet have you seen? I'm so curious!

    Your casting is great. Hiddleston would be fantastic as Hamlet. Dan Stevens would be such a sympathetic, huggable Horatio. Hugh and Emma as the power couple? Oh my, that might be TOO much fun! And Jacobi as Polonius -- that would be so interesting, as I've seen him play both Hamlet and Claudius. He's fantastic. I'm not sold on Ramola Garai and James McAvoy as brother and sister, but they might make it work. I feel like she might overpower him, though. But it'd be interesting to see McAvoy duel Hiddleston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I liked your cast as well.

      I've only seen a live version and Kenneth Branaugh's cinematic version, but there are so many I want to see, especially after reading your answers!

      I wasn't really sure what to do about Laertes, one of my initial thoughts was to put Dan Stevens in that role and McAvoy as Horatio. I wouldn't mind them switching (apparently I'm rather flexible about my cast in general, or maybe just Dan Stevens), I would be curious to see what either would do with the part.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shakespeare Tag

Girl on the Swing