Anne of Green Gables Blog Party

This awesome blog party took place about a week ago, but I was out of town. I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to participate in spite of that, but I neglected to pack my charging cable.
How unromantic does that sound?
Nevertheless, I have been looking forward to participating in this, and I am determined that I shall, even if, in my usual fashion, I am dreadfully late. To the Lovely Ladies hosting this blog party, I am so sorry,  but I hope that you won't mind my enthusiasm for your fabulous idea, no matter how tardy.


I am going to talk just a little bit about why I love Anne.

I started Anne of Green Gables in November of last year, and since then I have read that and the next three books in the series; I am just now finishing Anne of Windy Poplars. My sister, MovieCritic, had been suggesting the series to me for ages, but I didn't see any real reason to drag myself away from the important and enthralling classic literature that I was reading to read a boring story about {I hope Anne would be able to forgive me for this} a red-headed, Canadian orphan on a farm. How on earth could a simple story about a little girl measure up to Shakespeare, Austen, or Steinbeck?

Well, Anne has a way of winning even the toughest critics over. The minute I finished the first chapter I realized that there was more to this book than I had previously thought. The sheer descriptive, poetic use of language for one thing, was not what I expected. I could go on and on about the literary value of the series, but I will restrain myself. I am amazed at Miss Montgomery's style and poetry, though there is a layer of finesse that is not fully there, yet therein lies part of its beauty.

Through this series I have learned a lot about my sister, whom Anne greatly resembles in the first book, and quite a bit about myself.
It is my ambition to be a high school English and literature teacher, and I am currently a Sunday-school teacher, so in Anne's struggles and joys I sympathize very much.

Anyway,
Because this blog is oriented around tea {I can't resist a pun} I would like to talk about how Anne and tea go together.


        I think there is a perfect cup of tea for every book.
Jasmine White Tea

When I started Anne of Green Gables I was on a trip to the nearest large city, and the hotel I stay at is affiliated and adjacent to a very classy and grand hotel, so on this particular trip I decided to spend some time in the lobby of said grand hotel, reading. I ordered a pot of tea, and fell absolutely in love with this book.
In America for the most part, tea is standard, black, moderately drinkable stuff, but not as good as coffee, at least, that's how many Americans would put it, or they do yoga and they drink ginger tea for digestive health. 

The standard, black, Lipton tea is what I expected, but I was presented with a rather extensive tea list, almost like the one I'd seen at an actual tea house with my grandmother seven years ago. I chose Jasmine White Tea, and it tasted like lilacs. I feel Anne would appreciate the poetry of that, so I recommend it. 

I am sorry this is such a long introduction, but I hope it will make a good lead-up to my other posts,
Thank you to The Maidens of Green Gables, Katherine and Grace, for letting me participate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakespeare Tag

Girl on the Swing

The Perfect Hobbit Tea