August

Do some things and aesthetics just remind you of certain months or seasons?
Well, my sister and I agree on that, but not always on which ones fit together. I am going to talk about the month of August; the books I read, the movies I watch, the projects I begin, and how they all relate to the month's aesthetic.

August is the slightly golden end of the summer, a little bit hazy, with the colors muted. The winds start to pick up for autumn, and the breeze carries the scent of drying flowers, grass, and trees. August is not too hot, not too cool; you can put your feet in an icy mountain stream and still feel pleasantly warm. The breeze isn't cool either, just a sort of soft, shifting breeze.

August is a harvest month, so golden fields of wheat under a periwinkle sky is August. For the colors and scents August has always said lavender, open plains, and other rich, yet muted things to me. It also has a dark side, evening shadows are longer, there is potential for anything, including magic of both sorts, and there's just a hint of anticipation for fall and winter.

This Month's Projects:

This month I'm undertaking a 3 yard quilt; I already have it cut out, so I'm sewing and cutting the strip-assembly and piecing the top.

I am also knitting a scarf/shawl titled Smash, in the colors of Yellowstone's Grand Prismatic Pool.
The pattern is by designer Rebeka Darylin, and is available on Ravelry.

Recipe of the Month:

Lavender Lemon Cake


Books and Movies for August:

These are some of my favorite books and respective movies that have a decidedly August tone to them, you might also see in the separate book and movie lists some which are not paired with their counterpart, this is either because I haven't read/seen the other, I don't know there is one, or I don't think that the other has an August feeling to it.


Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynn Jones
Movie by Hayao Miazaki, Studio Ghibli, Disney.




The Princess Bride, by S. Morgenstern {William Goldman}
Movie by Rob Reiner, MGM Studio.





Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen
Movie by Rob Reiner, Warner Bros. Studio.




Summer of the Monkeys, by Wilson Rawls
Movie by Michael Anderson, Feature Films for Families.




The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd
Movie by Gina Prince-Bythwood, Fox Searchlight Pictures.




August Books:

The Return of the King, Book 3 in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
Winter Wheat, by Mildred Walker
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain {Samuel Clemens}
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Princess of the Midnight Ball, by Jessica Day George
the 'Serafina' series, by Robert Beatty
Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen

August Movies:

Back to the Future
Napoleon Dynamite
Cast Away
Widows Peak
Kit Kittredge, An American Girl
The Little Mermaid {2018, Live Action}


This month I'll be reading and watching:

Wuthering heights, by Emily Bronte {Ellis Bell}

To Kill a Mockingbird, starring Gregory Peck


May golden hours fill your days this month, and may you find a little magic in each one.

Comments

  1. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favoritest books ever! How did you like Princess of the Midnight Ball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the first book in the only YA series that I like, and the protagonist is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.
    It's such a creative take on an uncommonly explored fairy tale.

    I love the whole series and this is the best of the three.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shakespeare Tag

Girl on the Swing

The Perfect Hobbit Tea