Midwinter Tea

Hello all,
It's March, but where I live it's really still winter and I have begun to feel the midwinter blues, as I'm sure many of us have, so I must needs do something to put the magic back into winter.

''Magic,'' you say, "why magic, what magic?"

Well, you have to admit that the first frost and the first snowfall draping delicate tendrils of cold lace over the tree boughs has some magic in it. Or this time of year, melting, dripping icicles and shimmering, crystalline ice formations in the damp snow {I still think they must be fairy palaces} are certainly magic.
Therefore, that magic must still be there, it just gets hidden under layers of despair, colds, and cabin fever. "So," you say, "what can we do about it?"

Have tea of course! But not just any tea, something floral and lovely to lift the dullness.

There's almost nothing better than a story to lift the darkness, especially a story with magic in it. Fairytales have been a source of entertainment carried down through generations from all cultures, they teach us lessons, broaden the scope of our imaginations, and remind us that magic does exist.

"So that's what you were talking about," you say, "Why didn't you say so? I was beginning to think you were crazy."

So, inspired by National Fairytale Month and the lovely ladies at Fairytale Central who, in part, inspired this post with their posts about The Snow Queen in January, this tea will be based on the fabulous, fictional stories we all know, as well as several lesser-known tales.

A Rose In Winter - Fairytale Inspired Tea




              Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again. - C. S. Lewis


Essential Components:


The Tea:

Like I said, we need something floral, and since roses are one of the most common flowers in fairytales I think a nice rose tea will do very nicely.

My grandmother recently gave me a limited edition Downton Abbey tea, labeled English Rose Tea. I'm also rather fond of Fortnum and Mason's Rose Pouchong.


The Savory Food:

The fun thing about fairytales as a theme is that they mention lots of different foods - porridge from Goldilocks; cakes, breads, and pastries from Little Red Riding Hood; magic beans, etc., you get the idea.

For the savories I'm going to draw inspiration from The Arabian Nights and The Princess and the Pea.

I'm going to make two kinds of cracker snacks, which can be just as elegant as finger sandwiches if you work it right.
Start with crackers and spreadable cheese {I used Boursin, but cream cheese is nice too}.
Spread a thick coat of the cheese onto the crackers to create a base for your other toppings.
Push other toppings into the cheese, and voila, elegant little treats.
I call my final products Open Sesame Sunflowers and Pea Pod Lily Pads.


Open Sesame Sunflower Crackers and Dates

The Sweets {of course}:

You cannot have a fairytale tea, or any tea for that matter, without some treats. There are so many delectable desserts mentioned in fairytales, so take inspiration from whatever you like. Cakes and cupcakes are always nice, and very easy to decorate to go with your theme.

I again drew inspiration from The Arabian Nights, and made one of my favorite treats: Turkish Delight. Besides, since this is a midwinter tea I couldn't resist throwing in just a little Narnia
I don't recommend making this unless you're up for an adventure, this is a very difficult recipe, even I haven't mastered it yet, this batch was completely different from any of the others I've made.



The Decor:

I didn't really go for broke on this, but this is a fun theme for your imagination to run wild. My decor was mostly inspired by part of The Snow Queen, and folk tales and stories from the orient and The Arabian Nights.


Optional Components:


Party Favors:

Since I didn't have tea with anyone outside of my family I didn't get to have fun with this category, but here are some ideas:

Bookmarks with C. S. Lewis quotes
Paper Snowflakes
Fairy Catchers {strings of shiny, sparkly, or interesting things to hang in a window where they will catch the sun}
Fairy Gardens {succulents in a small container, maybe a teacup}

Games, Crafts, Activities {for those who's friends don't like to sit still}:


Riddles and Word Games - frequently used in fairytales, playing at riddles and word games can also be great fun. Some good ones to use are:

As I Was Going To St. Ives
32 White Horses
The Sphinx Riddle
Little Green Door
Words and Questions {creative writing game, involves paper and pens/pencils}

Add your own or look up others!

Story Time - Tell or read your favorite fairytales and ask your friends to come prepared with theirs.

Fairytale Themed Games - Ideas:

Pin the Feather on the Golden Goose or Duck, Duck, Golden Goose
The Cup Game {with a pea, of course}
Bobbing for Poisoned Apples

And anything else you can imagine!

Thank you so much for reading. Have a magical midwinter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakespeare Tag

Girl on the Swing

The Perfect Hobbit Tea